Tuesday, July 24, 2012

New Work: Process

©2012 Mary C. Nasser, Process, mixed-media/acrylic on canvas, 5 x 7 inches
This painting layers Hawaiian maps, text, metal, ephemera, acrylic paint and media on a small stretched canvas.

I love the process of painting! It grounds me.
I also love learning as much as I can about geological processes! In particular, I am fascinated with the forces inside the earth can cause sudden drastic change, especially volcanoes! During my artist residency at Red Cinder Creativity Center, I had the unique opportunity to live between 2 active and accessible volcanoes on the Big Island of Hawaii.

I also had the chance to watch landscape being created and stand on the newest land on earth: landscape created by lava hardening into rock, which, in time, will transform into soil where plants will sprout and grow.

Those volcanic landscapes continue to inform and influence my work.
I remain captivated by the idea that geological shifts and transformations seem to parallel both individuals and their relationships: continually changing, varying, shifting and developing, too.

Please visit my blog and Facebook page!
New paintings are listed in my Etsy shop, too!

2 comments:

RURAL said...

I love those colors and the way it is laid out...something about the very graphicness of it...hey it's Zen-ish.



Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Mary C. Nasser said...

Thank you so much, Jen!