Friday, October 8, 2010

"Autumn Enchantment" Original watercolor

(c) Melanie Pruitt 2010


I'm very excited to introduce my newest painting, "Autumn Enchantment". It lures the viewer to come and take a walk among the shadows and sunlight on a beautiful fall day.

Taking several days of work, and many hours of patient waiting while different layers dried, I painted this watercolor with artist quality paints on Arches cold press paper.

I use a huge variety of techniques here. Impressionistic background is laid, recycled objects are used as I spray paint. I spatter, used plastic wrap for texture, negative painting, and patiently waded through layer after layer.

As often happens with these types of paintings, I hit a point in the middle where I am very doubtful about the painting becoming anything worthwhile. But then, as I keep coming back, each layer brings the painting to life. I'm really thrilled with how this one turned out.

It measures 12"x16" and if you'd like to see it in my Etsy store, come visit me at The Creators Palette or click on the picture.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is stunning- I love the layers of color! And I totally hear you about getting to that point where you wonder about the quality- I thnk this probably happens to all of us. I KNOW it happens to me all the time!