Friday, February 26, 2010

Large Floral Still Life Watercolor


(c) Melanie Pruitt 2010

This is my newest painting - a still life painted from a vase of flowers sitting right in front of me!

I've been pretty ill the last 2 months. I struggle with a chronic illness and had almost 2 mos of stomach pain and nausea. Some friends came by with these flowers to cheer me up. For some reason, I just wanted to paint BIG... so I pulled out my 18"x24" rough press block and started painting them from life. What a fun experience!!!

My only reget, is that we have only had rain since I finished it and so far, I just can not get a good picture of the yellow flower. But the sun will shine again, and then I can update my Etsy listing. It is much more varied in color and depth than this picture shows.

I really love the movement and color in the background - bringing a feel of impressionism to this watercolor painting. The rough press paper also allows many of my granulating pigments to bring great texture to this painting.

Come to my Etsy store The Creators Palette to see this painting and many more!
~Melanie

1 comment:

Kathryn Dyche said...

What a beautiful watercolor. So sorry to hear you've been ill but how lovely that those flowers inspired you to paint.