Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ginkgo Path - Original Pen and Ink Drawing

Today I finished the first new pen and ink drawing of the 2009. It depicts Ginkgo leaves strewn across a stone path. I first fell in love with Ginkgo trees while living in England. Their unique leaf shape and color in the fall are just amazing. I’m only now getting around to expressing this in my artwork.
Detail:

‘Ginkgo Path’ measures 9 x 12 inches and is done on environmentally friendly, Strathmore Windpower Series; 30% post-consumer fiber and acid free. It is available to purchase in my Etsy shop, Makepeace Arts, for $80.00.

I really enjoy drawing in pen. Unlike drawing in pencil, you cannot erase your mistakes - you have to reshape them and just make it work. It leaves so many possibilities for the outcome of the artwork. By adding color to the focal point of the drawing it not only draws the eyes closer but creates a dichotomy between the subject of the drawing and its background. The subject almost seems to come alive on the paper.

6 comments:

Art by Kristen Stein said...

Beautiful! My daughter and I planted a Ginkgo tree. Don't know if it will make it through the cold winters, but it'll be fun to watch if it grows.

Great work with the ink....looks fantastic!

Karen Faulkner said...

Wonderful detail!

Amanda Makepeace said...

Thank you! :-)

sojournquilts said...

Such attention to detail! So sweet!

Artsnark said...

nice linework

lifeneedsart said...

Wow, that's beautiful!