Monday, January 12, 2009

Cherry Blossom


My first ever "makeover' on a painting! I painted these Cherry Blossoms almost 2 years ago. I've found that I have learned so much in my painting technique and I was never happy with the background of this painting. So I picked it up and began adding water and new pigments - darker edges, and even a green granulating pigment!

But then, I began looking at the blossoms. They were nice, but I couldn't resist.... I began painting shadows, and using techniques I've learned and suddenly they began to "pop" out from the page! I'm so happy I had the courage to try a painting makeover!

Come see it in my Etsy shop! The Creators Palette

3 comments:

Art by Kristen Stein said...

Nicely done Melanie. You've inspired me to take a look at some of my old canvas and see if they can be reworked into something new. Great idea!

Artsnark said...

Turned out wonderful - love the contrast

DreamON said...

It's beautiful! Much better than cutting up a painting to make bookmarks or gessoing one over.