Sunday, October 5, 2008

The PeaceKeepers by the Hillbilly Artist

16" x 24"
acrylic on wood
(Gandhi, Jesus, and MLK)
I was at the store the other day and was appalled to find toys for children called "the peacekeepers" . They were not Gandhi, Jesus , Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa, or John Lennon. They were military men dressed in all black and carrying an arsenal of weapons. Peacekeeping should not involve weapons. If people are peaceful because they are afraid , is that true peace? So here is my painting of my "peacekeepers". The ones I hope my son grows to know well , the ones I hope he aspires to be like someday .
"Peace has to be created, in order to be maintained. It is the product of Faith, Strength, Energy, Will, Sympathy, Justice, Imagination, and the triumph of principle. It will never be achieved by passivity and quietism." Dorthy Thompson

No comments: