Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My First Vast Piece

Hello! My name is Kathy Martin, and I am new to VAST. I'm an artist, musician, composer, and teacher. I love to create!

My favorite types of paintings to create are three dimensional. The 3D gold leaf process that I use to create my mettalic looking paintings takes seven steps. It has taken me a few years to perfect the process, and I am now having lots of fun with it!

I paint many abstract paintings and sometimes create mixed media artworks. Asian inspired and music inspired paintings are my favorites.

I got began painting when I started collecting Halloween ACEOs (2.5" x 3.5" paintings) a few years back. I still love collecting small, original pieces of art, and I now do many paintings that size.


Click here for more details on this painting:
~
This painting was painted 24 Karat gold paint and then made to look antique. The branches were painted in copper leaf. The outline of the pink dragonfly was painted in 18 karat gold leaf.
~
Diminsions: 8 inches by 10 inches (8" x 10" , 203 X 154 mm)
~
The cherry blossom symbolizes feminine beauty in China and are believed to exemplify the transient nature of life, because of their short blooming times. In Japan cherry blossoms (Sakura in Japanese) are omens of good fortune, emblems of love and affection, and represent spring time.
~
Dragonflies are symbols of courage, strength, and happiness.
~
~
Smiles,
Kathy

4 comments:

Marionette said...

Kathy,
Beautiful work! I love your description of the process.

Aloha,
Marionette
http;//www.kauaiartist.etsy.com

x said...

Thanks so much Marionette! =)

x said...

Thanks so much Marionette! =)

Jean Levert Hood said...

Welcome to VAST, Kathy! This is a wonderful post, and so nice that you included your process! I love the gold leafing.